News & Events
The GGSC is Hiring a Multimedia Producer!Announcement | December 9, 2016
Join our editorial team to produce science-based multimedia content, including videos, podcasts, articles, quizzes, and more.
The Greater Good Science Center is currently looking for a Multimedia Producer to join our team.
To apply, you’ll need to submit your application through UC Berkeley’s Jobs page. Once you’re on the Jobs page, click on “External Applicants” (unless you are a current UC employee, in which case select “Internal Applicants”) and in the Keywords field, search for the position by its Job ID: 22530. More details below.
UC Berkeley Job ID: 22530
The Greater Good Science Center (GGSC) at UC Berkeley studies the psychology, sociology, and neuroscience of well-being and teaches skills to foster a thriving, resilient, and compassionate society. For more than 10 years, it has not only sponsored cutting-edge research but translated that research into practical and inspiring stories, tools, and tips.
We are hiring a full-time multimedia producer for the GGSC’s award-winning online magazine, Greater Good, which reaches half a million unique readers every month with its coverage of “the science of a meaningful life.” Reporting to the editor of Greater Good, the position will be responsible for producing high-quality, engaging, science-based multimedia content. This will include developing and producing videos, podcasts, and interactive content such as slideshows and quizzes. The multimedia producer will also help create and disseminate content for the GGSC through various social media platforms.
This is a full-time (100% time) position.
- Produces videos and podcasts for Greater Good. Duties include researching story ideas, writing scripts, interviewing subjects, overseeing video/audio editing, and developing the overall concept, look, and sound for video and audio series, with a particular emphasis on video that is optimized for viewing on mobile devices and social media platforms.
- Creates other multimedia content for Greater Good, including slideshows, quizzes, and articles, with a focus on translating scientific research for a popular audience.
- Develops the GGSC’s social media presence by regularly creating content for various social media platforms, particularly Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and LinkedIn. Strategically expands social media presence to new platforms.
- Working with the GGSC’s Marketing Director, helps expand the GGSC’s audience by managing and creating content for the GGSC’s email newsletters, building relationships with syndication partners, and regularly disseminating content via syndication, social media, and other distribution channels.
- Posts content to the Greater Good website and generally builds, updates, and maintains pages on the site.
- Attends GGSC staff meetings and participates in discussions about the organization’s operations and strategic direction.
- Excellent multimedia production skills, including the ability to write scripts for videos and audio stories, record and edit high-quality video and audio content, and produce other interactive content such as slideshows and quizzes.
- Deep familiarity with various social media platforms—particularly Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and LinkedIn—with a particular focus on creating social media content optimized for viewing on mobile devices.
- Excellent writing skills, particularly for writing short and engaging stories for the web in a clear and lively style.
- Basic knowledge of HTML and content management systems (ideally ExpressionEngine).
- Knowledge of best practices for search engine optimization and other means of increasing web traffic.
- Project management skills, including ability to develop work plans and timelines, handle simultaneous assignments, and meet deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to publicly represent the mission of Greater Good and the GGSC.
- Experience reporting on social science for a popular audience—i.e., to translate scientific research into lively, accessible, and jargon-free content.
- Experience producing email newsletters.
- Basic design and animation skills, including knowledge of relevant software (e.g., Photoshop, Illustrator).
Salary & Benefits
Salary commensurate with experience, within range of $60,200 - $70,000.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit: http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/index.html.
How to Apply
To apply, please submit your application through UC Berkeley’s Jobs page before February 1, 2017. Once you’re on the Jobs page, click on “External Applicants” (unless you are a current UC employee, in which case select “Internal Applicants”) and in the Keywords field, search for the position by its Job ID: 22530.
Applications must be submitted through the UC Berkeley Jobs system in order to be considered.
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant, see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf.
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy, see: http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct.