News & Events
The GGSC is Looking for a Marketing Director!Announcement | October 31, 2012
Help us spread the word about our programs and resources.
The Greater Good Science Center is currently looking for a Marketing Director. To apply, you’ll need to submit your application through UC Berkeley’s Jobs page. Once you’re on the Jobs page, search for the position by its Job ID number, 14820. More details below.
UC Berkeley Job ID: 14820
The Marketing Director of the Greater Good Science Center will be responsible for widely publicizing the GGSC’s articles, videos, and other content from its online magazine, Greater Good, and for publicizing its events. The Marketing Director will also help raise public awareness of the GGSC and its programs through the GGSC’s website, e-newsletters, social media platforms, and other media channels. This is a part-time (60-80% time) position.
- Organize and coordinate marketing of website content, which includes social media planning, execution, and tracking; finding, negotiating and monitoring distribution deals with varied outlets for GGSC content; optimizing search engine rankings; coordinating e-newsletter production and distribution; building e-newsletter registrations; advertising the GGSC through other media; and creating print and electronic collateral.
- Lead marketing of the GGSC’s Science of a Meaningful Life seminar series and other events—including webinars and its forthcoming summer institute for educators—through channels like e-newsletters, social media, direct mail, and house ads. Update listings of GGSC and external events on website’s event calendar.
- Lead marketing efforts to publicize the various components of the GGSC’s Expanding the Science and Practice of Gratitude project, including research grants, a public event, and its digital gratitude journal, Thnx4.org.
- Ensure consistent messaging and branding across program areas and projects.
- Track metrics of success, which includes analyzing website data and obtaining audience feedback through surveys, focus groups, and interviews to help shape direction and content of our programs. Deliver regular reports to staff.
- Create and maintain systems for tracking and reporting media coverage of the GGSC; proactively promote our mission, programs, and content to members of the media. Update media mentions on In the News section of GGSC website.
- Increase number of GGSC members and enhance visibility of GGSC membership program and other development efforts by tying them to broader marketing efforts, working with the GGSC’s Executive Director and Development Director.
- Develop annual marketing budget in conjunction with GGSC Editor-in-Chief and Executive Director.
- Maintain database of contacts relevant to all marketing activities, including content distribution, event publicity, members of the media, and other allied organizations.
- Excellent analytical and written communication skills.
- Thorough knowledge of best practices in social media to assist with marketing efforts.
- Thorough knowledge of communication principles, media, and marketing techniques.
- Thorough knowledge of market research techniques.
- Strong project management skills.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills.
- Experience with event publicity and media outreach preferred.
- Skill in mentoring less experienced staff.
- Bachelor’s degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training
- Thorough knowledge of the Greater Good Science Center’s mission and programs preferred
Salary & Benefits
Salary commensurate with experience, within range of $46,200-$68,700 (Full-time rate)
How to Apply
To apply, submit your application through UC Berkeley’s Jobs page, where you’ll need to search for this position by its Job ID number, 14820.
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Criminal Background Check
This position has been designated as sensitive and may require a Criminal Background Check. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of a Criminal Background Check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California, Berkeley is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.