News & Events
The GGSC is Hiring a Director of Operations!Announcement | July 29, 2013
The Greater Good Science Center is currently looking for a Director of Operations. To apply, you’ll need to submit your application through UC Berkeley’s Jobs page. Once you’re on the Jobs page, search for the position by its Job ID, 16376. More details below.
Director of Operations
UC Berkeley Job ID: 16376
The Greater Good Science Center’s Director of Operations will oversee the GGSC’s administrative and financial systems. The Director of Operations will enhance the performance of existing systems, create new systems where appropriate, and ensure that all systems function smoothly and efficiently.
This is a full-time (100% time) position.
- Manage all aspects of the center’s financial operations, which include: tracking all incoming and outgoing invoices; processing payments for vendors, or supervising student assistants who do so; depositing revenue from grants and earned income; tracking all financial activity, such as through an Excel pivot table; and developing and preparing budgets and financial reports for review by the center’s Director, Editor in Chief, other staff, and potential and current funders.
- Handle contracts with outside vendors, consultants, and funders, shepherding them through the university’s approval process. Provide input into nontechnical portions of grant and contract proposals.
- Provide administrative support for the center’s various events and its summer institute. Includes booking venues, making travel arrangements, and contracting with speakers and caterers.
- Run center’s volunteer program: Recruits and manages volunteers, reviews volunteer applications, and matches volunteers with center activities that fit their skills and interests.
- Information management: Continuously looks for ways to improve how center staff share and archive important files, both digital and hard copy.
- Office management: Manages daily operations of the center, including facilities and space logistics; office supply and equipment needs; mailings, including large-scale mailings to center members; and routine IT issues. Troubleshoots problems as they arise. Participates in regular staff meetings and routine check-ins with the center’s Director and Editor in Chief.
- Coordinate a variety of human resources activities, including hiring, training, classification, and ensuring the completion of forms and documents related to HR and Payroll for unit/department. Hires student assistants. Supervises some personnel—particularly students and volunteers—who can support the center’s administrative operations.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, including highly tactful oral and written communication skills.
- Thorough knowledge of financial processes, data management, and reporting systems, and of financial analysis and budgeting techniques. Experience working with Excel pivot tables preferred.
- Knowledge of a variety of administrative operations activities, such as events planning, basic fundraising processes, risk management planning, accounting and payroll, and contracts and grants regulations and guidelines.
- Experience in information management, including ability to evaluate and improve file sharing systems.
- Ability both to evaluate suitability of prospective volunteers and to manage volunteer program successfully.
- Excellent project management skills.
- Thorough knowledge of Mac and PC computer platforms and ability to troubleshoot and resolve routine IT problems.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite and common desktop and web applications.
- Strong skills in short-term planning, analysis, and problem-solving.
- Bachelor’s degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training preferred.
- Thorough knowledge of University rules and regulations, processes, protocols and procedures for budget, account and fund management, and personnel management preferred.
- Knowledge of common University-specific online systems preferred, including BearBuy procurement system preferred.
- Thorough knowledge of—and affinity for—the Greater Good Science Center’s mission and programs strongly preferred.
Salary & Benefits
Salary commensurate with experience, within range of $57,000-$84,600.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit: http://atyourservice.ucop.edu/forms_pubs/misc/benefits_of_belonging.pdf
How to Apply
To apply, submit your application through UC Berkeley’s Jobs page, where you’ll need to search for this position by its Job ID, 16376.
Applications must be submitted through the UC Berkeley Jobs system in order to be considered.
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Criminal Background Check
This position has been designated as sensitive and may require a Criminal Background Check. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of a Criminal Background Check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California, Berkeley is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.